Tool Belts

Sunday, August 15, 2010

New Door & Window- back of house






An exciting, tough weekend. We decided to put the new french door from the dining room onto the deck. We took out the storm & picture window that was there. It went fairly smoothly, the condition of the studs were okay, and there was a substantial amount of insulation in the wall cavities. It didn't go so well, when Erik and I were carrying the picture window from the wall into the dumpster- which is located in the garage. I went to step down and my ankle rolled and it hurt something nasty. Later on that day, I was bringing a bucket of waste to put into the dumpster and the same thing happened. My foot just gave out and I found myself on the floor. I was sure I broke my ankle, but it turned out to be just a bad sprain. Unfortunately, I couldn't help Erik the rest of the day. Which was stressful with an opening in the wall and no way to get the door in.
Where the window was. Now open.
Wall open to the floor, ready to start to frame in for the rough opening of the door.
Opening and trusty wheelhorse, for bringing demo material around to the dumpster.
The New French Door. Erik found this at a tent sale this spring, it matches our sliders almost exactly.
This is Erik lifting the brick patterned linoleum up to reveal the Douglas Fir flooring underneath. Pulling up the subfloor seems to be fairly easy here. Let's cross our fingers it continues to be that way.
Bartlett using the new entry out to the deck. She loves it!
Erik recruited Kevin to help get the door in place, after I was on the injured list. Again Kevin saves the day. Erik later cuts himself making shims for the door. Luckily it stopped bleeding. And also in this photo is the new opening for the mulled doublehungs.
There is no record, but I helped put that window in place. Erik is putting the finishing touches on the window, actually I think he is pulling the stickers off.
The ladder configuration Erik and I concocted in order to get the window up and into the opening.
Doors and windows in place. We can already see the difference in the air coming into the door and also the windows into the Living Room. The light coming in is also very nice. I am falling asleep as I type this so, I'll fill in the rest on the next post. nite, nite

No comments: